Saturday, May 19, 2012

Annie's Dance Recital

My daughter Annie had her first dance recital today. But it shouldn't have been called a dance "recital" - it was more like a dance "extravaganza-have-your-mind-blown-a-thon."

[Picture of Annie]

For starters, we didn't know if Annie would get up on stage and dance. She's been doing great at her dancing lessons, but she gets really shy whenever Betty or I are in the room. Secondly, we didn't know how our son Peter would do. I was pretty sure that he was going to run loose in the theater and climb up on random people's chairs. (Or as I've termed it, "free babysitting.")

[Picture of Annie]

Who knew that we'd have nothing to worry about?! Annie was fantastic! She was the best one of her group for her first dance. And while she only did a handful of moves for her second dance, she killed those few moves!

[Picture of Annie]

And Peter slept the whole first half. When he finally woke up, he woke up clapping. After he finished clapping, which was much longer and furious than a normal clap would last, he ate a Clif brownie bar, a pack of M&M's and a granola bar, then slept for a little while longer until he hit a sugar high two numbers before Annie's last dance.

[Picture of Peter]

Betty's parents and niece came to the performance, my parents came in from Lafayette, and my sister flew in from Houston. Pretty nice crowd! Very awesome of everyone to come in for this. They even hit up Annie's soccer game earlier in the day. (Annie decided to rest for her dance performance instead of playing soccer.)

[Picture of Annie]

[Picture of Annie]

Next year I'll be dancing in the "Daddy / Daughter Dance." They did it this year, and had a special moment when a senior who's been dancing at Annie's dance studio for several years got to dance with her dad since she apparently couldn't do it when she was younger for whatever reason. It was really sweet. My wife, mom and sister were all bawling. They all bawled again when Annie came out on the stage. Way too much estrogen in the room!

[Picture of Annie]

I'm so proud of my little sweetheart, Annie, for dancing so well today! I'm proud of her for getting up on stage, proud that she remembered all of her dance moves, and just proud of her for being so all-around awesome. Congratulations to all the girls for completing a year of dance. See you next year!

1 comment:

Mary Ellen said...

What a priceless tribute. I have pictures of a dance recital (my one and only) from about that age. All you can tell from the photos is that part of my costume was on upside down. Oh and I do remember being told that if a bug flies in your mouth, you should swallow it and just keep dancing. That may explain why my dance career ended there. What a treasure this memory will be for Annie as she gets older. I so enjoyed sharing in it... Thanks!