Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Welcome, Little John Bobby!

I'd like to congratulate my sister and brother-in-law for officially becoming parents over the Thanksgiving weekend!

We knew they were having a boy but they kept the name close to the vest. They named their little dude after his daddy... John, Jr! His initials (minus his two middle names) is JRJR, which can either be "Junior Junior" or "Jar Jar."

Being the Star Wars fan that I am, I obviously vote for Junior Junior. No self-respecting Star Wars fan likes Jar Jar.

Little John being born on Thanksgiving weekend was a blessing in many ways. First, and most obviously, it's a blessing that he was born. Second, he was born while we were in Houston, so we don't have to make a second trip. (Not that we wouldn't have made a second trip, but it was convenient that we were there.) Third, Little John gave his dad instant Karma, and his dad (Big Daddy John Senior) won his fantasy football matchup to keep him in playoff contention in our league.

Little John, I gotta tell you... I was hoping your dad would lose that game. I'm in 9th now, and I need to be in 8th to make the playoffs. But I still love you.

Betty is the godmother. That makes me the godfather-in-law, even though I'm a blood relative. It's a weird relationship, but we're from Louisiana - we're used to that.

Getting to Houston for Thanksgiving was a little hairy. We left Prairieville on Thanksgiving morning, and got out of the house about 45 later than we wanted. But when we were about 30 miles from Beaumont we got a call from my brother saying that there had been a 140 car accident in Beaumont that had shut down both lanes of the Interstate. Two people died, which is awful... but it's amazing that more people didn't die. A lot of people went to the hospital in critical condition. And had we left Prairieville when we wanted to, we might have been right around that area when the accident happened.

So... we have a lot to be thankful for this holiday season. We're thankful that we could be together as a family, thankful for our health and safety, and especially thankful for our little JRJR.

My advice to Little John: don't let your dad teach you how to play poker. No, wait, that's not it! Here's my real advice: your mom sleeps with her eyes open because her large eyelashes block the light. It's creepy, but you'll get used to it. Don't let it freak you out.

OK, real advice to the little dude: always be yourself. You've got it made - great parents, the best godfather-in-law that money can buy, and loving grandparents who will do anything for you. So give your mom hell when you're a teenager and I'll help fund your college education. Deal?

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: