Sunday, April 21, 2013

Imagination: Moved!

On Saturday we took the kids to see Imagination Movers. Betty and I were just as excited to go as we were to the Elton John concert! We were probably more excited than the kids.

If you don't know who Imagination Movers are, then you most likely don't have kids under the age of 10. And if you do have kids that young but don't know who the Imagination Movers are, then you are most likely either living in a post-apocalyptic nightmare and are the sole survivor of a nuclear holocaust (who somehow found blog material from the distant past) or are missing out on something really spectacular on Disney Junior.

Either way, check them out if you get a chance.

We like Imagination Movers for several reasons: 1) They're good, wholesome fun for the whole family; 2) they have great songs that Betty and I love singing with the kids; 3) they're from New Orleans; and 4) they're much better than Barney, the Wiggles, Teletubbies and Doodle-bops combined.

Did I mention that we had sixth row floor seats?

Floor seats to Movers!

Scott Durbin was the first Mover out on stage, and we didn't know who he was at first because he had cut his hair. We're not used to seeing him like that, so it was a little weird at first, until he joked that his mom loved his new haircut. I'm sure that was true! When he said that, I had a flashback to when I shaved my head for the soccer playoffs in high school and my mom cried.

Here are Rich and Scott rocking out on stage, and that's Scott in the back on the keyboards.

Rich and Scott moving our imaginations

Each Mover took turns jumping off the stage and running through the crowd. They made efforts at walking up every aisle so the kids could see them and give them high fives. Annie and Peter got to high five a few of them, and the look on their faces afterwards was priceless!

At one point, Rich (the lead singer) was walking down the aisle right past us and was having issues with his guitar strap. He was also holding a microphone. So he looked around and handed the mic to me - yes, ME - while he adjusted his strap. I like to think that I saved the day.

Another idea emergency solved!

After the Movers each had a turn to sing and play their instruments throughout the crowd, the kids pretty much stormed to the front of the stage. And after the concert, the Movers gave away guitar picks, drum sticks and other fun stuff, and they signed things for the kids.

Rich throws guitar picks

We scored a drum stick from the drummer touring with the band.

Drumstick from the movers!

And while I didn't score the set list, I did ask the person who got it if I could take a picture.

Set list

So I said earlier that the Movers are from New Orleans. They are - and three of them lost their houses in Hurricane Katrina. The only one who didn't - Smitty - is a New Orleans Fireman, and his fire department lost their building.

Fireman / Mover Smitty!

After the concert we wanted the kids to stay up for the long ride back to Baton Rouge (so that they would nap when they got home, which means we would get to nap), and the only way to do that is to pump them full of sugar. So we went to Cafe Du Monde in Kenner and demanded beignets stat!

Feed me sugar!

Cafe Du Monde's mascot is apparently a fish with a little hat. I made the kids make fish faces for this picture.

Fish faces!

Did our plan to hype the kids up on sugar work? Well, see for yourself: here's a picture of Peter and his cousin David playing with invitations for Peter's birthday party (which Betty made as light sabers because Betty is incredibly talented). Peter was Darth Vader, and since he's my son and I'm writing this blog, I'll say that he destroyed David's Obi-Wan Kenobi. (But did that only make David's Obi-Wan Kenobi stronger? Hmmm...)

Light sabers!

All in all, it was a fantastic concert. The Movers were sweating their butts off from all the hard work they put into the show. I'm younger than most of them, and I was tired just watching them! I don't know how they do it. They also sang some songs from other bands, like Ho Hey from Lumineers and What Makes You Beautiful by One Direction, which sounded great.

Thank you to the Imagination Movers for coming back to New Orleans to play for us, and thank you to the Archdiocese of New Orleans for bringing the Movers back to New Orleans!

No comments: