Monday, September 02, 2013

Nagigator

I've created new words to add to our "back seat driving" lexicon.

The first word is Nagigator. It means "one who nags while navigating." This is different than someone who simply nags you while you're driving them around, as a nagigator is a person that is in the act of helping you get where you want to go - although he or she could allegedly do it much better, faster and safer.

A related word is Nagigation. This is the act of nagging while navigating.

To be fair, I wasn't the first person to write out "Nagigator." Someone sent me an email and tried to type out "navigator" but instead wrote "nagigator," and I told him that I had stolen his typo. Then I replied to the aforementioned email with gibberish, random misspellings and unfinished thoughts, in the hope of helping that person come up with an idea for their very own new word.

While you may think that I can't just go around inventing new words whenever I want, I beg to differ - and will call you a back seat wordsmith until I can think up something more clever. But most people don't know the meanings or origins of very famous words. Who does, unless you're a cunning linguist?

You can check out Merriam-Webster's Top 10 Words of Summer, which shows the origin of some summery words. Maybe soon they'll refer to this blog post when they write about how Nagigators are taking over America.

No comments: