Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The Tanory Takeover, Part 2

Continuing on my recent hot streak of two blogs in five months, I thought I'd share some of the fun things that we did with the kids while in Seattle for Thanksgiving.

Don't worry, I'll get to Easter sometime around September.

Since it was winter in Seattle, we decided to go to see the movie Frozen.  Or as I call it, "The extended video for 'Let It Go.'"  We even got to see Olaf!



We had gone to the mall to see Frozen, and while were there one of my cousins noticed that Santa had set up shop in the middle of the mall - and there was no line!  So we all piled into his sleigh, and took probably one of my favorite pictures of all time.


I think us adults were having more fun than the kids!

Afterward, my aunts, uncles and some of my cousins treated everyone to a great night at a place with a bunch of video games, laser tag and bumper cars.  Think of a Chuck E Cheese, Dave & Buster's, that sort of thing - now picture that place overrun with Tanory's.

The video games were fun, but we spent most of our time on the larger attractions, like the bumper cars.  My son, Peter, was surprisingly agile in his own bumper car.  His 360 degree turns were pretty uncanny.


Of course the real goon on the course was my daughter, Annie.  When she set her sights on you, consider your car bumped!  I still have whiplash from a hit to the back from my kids.


To relax after our bumper car battle royale, we took a 3D roller coaster trip together as a family.  The ladies took all the good seats in the front, but us men got our revenge by screaming like frightened little girls the entire ride.


Well, at least we had one dude who was cool as a cucumber....


Next up was Laser Tag.  Here's a picture of our opponents, the Green Team.  Although they look innocent enough, the Green Team - especially the ladies in the middle - were comprised of some of the sharpest shooters in the entire family.  We still clobbered them though, thanks to my patented "Cover All The Sensors On Your Gun And Backpack" skillz.


Peter and my cousin Ryan had a good time playing Air Hockey.  Ryan's always been great with our kids.  He's one of the nicest cousins that I have, and we love spending time with him.  Too bad he sucks at Air Hockey!  (Just kidding, Ryan - no seriously, don't pretend like you went easy on Peter.)


Shuttles and buses were our main mode of transportation around Seattle.  This was much easier than trying to coordinate multiple cars meeting up at the same place at the same time.


One such bus trip took us downtown to see the Space Needle.


And what blog post about the Space Needle would be complete if I didn't show this picture, and then ask you to think to yourself, in your best Austin Powers voice, "Does that make you horny, baby!?"


Mom, you don't have to answer that one.

Quick interlude here for a second:  Back at the hotel, at night when the kids were asleep, us adults would sneak downstairs at play poker.  Sometimes I would just run in, take pictures and then run out, and end up with pictures like this:


But one night I came into the poker room to find everyone singing, "We Are the Champions" by Queen at the top of their voices.


(I also found this, but we dare not speak of it!)



A day or so later, we took the bus to a great Italian place that my cousin Zach had not only made reservations for but had also put in food orders.  We literally just sat down and started eating and drinking.

How's that for planning?!

But first there was a toast.  Mainly to Zach, for setting up the evening's activities.  And when it was my turn, I stood up, remembered the amazing poker game where everyone was singing, and my heart was filled with joy.  And I toasted thusly:

"I've paid my dues time after time.  I've done my sentence but committed no crime.  And bad mistakes?  I've made a few.  I've had my share of sand kicked in my face but I've come through."

And wouldn't you know it, but an impromptu rendition of "We Are The Champions" rang out in an Italian restaurant in Seattle, in a room filled with Tanory's from all over the country, at the top of our lungs.



It was followed by many other songs that began in toast form.  And our night ended when we ate every last piece of food in the restaurant and were so full that even our unibrows were bloated.




It was a trip that I'll never forget.  And I know that we've imparted our love for our family on our children.



Our kids are asking when the next big trip is, so we need to decide what we're doing and when, and we expect everyone to show up!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I found that site very usefull and this survey is very cirious, I ' ve never seen a blog that demand a survey for this actions, very curious...
facebook